CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2004

From:
Paul Rigby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 08:05:54 +0800

Jason,
Have a look at the following web page for a brief discussion on removing
lipofuschin autofluorescence. This page summarizes recent discussions on
this listserver re autofluorescence removal.
http://www.pharm.uwa.edu.au/bcmrc/autofluor.htm

Hope it helps.
Regards
Paul Rigby

At 01:30 PM 8/05/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hello,
>
>I'm a new member to the list so this is my first message. I am working on a
>model of intracrebral hemorrhage in the rat. The hemorrhage is in the
>striatum. The rat is perfused with 4% para and then the brain is post fixed
>for one night in 4% para and then 1 day in 10% sucrose and then 1 week in 30%
>sucrose. The brain is frozen in CO2 and then sliced in a microtome. I have
>observed a bright ring of autofluorescence around the hemorrhage 7 days after
>hemorrhage onset. The autofluorescence is not visible in other parts of the
>brain. The autofluorescence appears as small, punctate spots. They appear
>orange when excited by UV, green when excited by blue  and red when excited by
>green. From what I have read they appear to be lipofuscin but I have not found
>any literature discussing the presence of lipofuscin in intracrebral
>hemorrhage. Anyone have any experience with this and any suggestions for
>quenching it? Thank you very much.
>
>Jason Wasserman
>University of Toronto, Dept. of Physiology
>Toronto Western Research Institute
>Toronto Western Hospital
>
>--

Dr Paul Rigby
Director and Senior Lecturer
Biomedical Imaging and Analysis Facility (M510)
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley  WA  6009
Australia
Phone: 61-8-9346 2819   Fax: 61-8-9346 3469