CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2008

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:06:31 -0800
Dear Stuart,
Why are you using .049 um beads? A PSF bead only needs to be smaller
than the optical resolution of the objective lens. compare the volume
of that bead to a 120 or 170 um bead to get an idea of the difference
in possible number of fluorophores available to generate a signal.
Such small beads and prolonged scanning creates an exercise in
photobleaching. The RI difference between coverglass and the bead can
definitely be an issue. However, if you are trying to generate a PSF
for imaging monolayers of cells adhered to glass, that could be a
useful PSF. A mounting medium with an RI close to that of the glass
would reduce the coverglass issue.  A bigger issue when working close
to the coverslip may be reflection.  The question is why are
generating the PSF? To characterize the microscope or to describe the
imaging conditions through a sample? I find that adding a few larger
beads, ca 6 um or 15 um, is very useful for finding the coverslip.
they also create a spacer for when I mount the beads. For a thicker
volume, DAKO Glycergel (RI 1.44-1.47) or Fluormount G (RI 1.39) are
useful hardening media. I've heard reports of latex beads melting in
agarose that is too hot.

Regards,
Glen