CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2008

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:06:27 -0800
Hi Stuart,
You've learned the first lesson of confocal microscopy!  The problem
is you are probably following very outdated instructions for the
confocal.  The manuals and factory training for older confocals
emphasized noise reduction through slow scan rates and repetitive
averaging.  These gave dim, noise-free images of bleached specimens.
Start with the 'Normal' scan rate and Kalman averaging at 3.  This
will scan with a 5-fold reduction in exposure and gives nearly the
same noise reduction on our MRC-1024.  Normal scan is 2 us/pixel, Slow
scan is 8 us with the resulting intensities divided by 4.

If you are deconvolving the PSF and your specimens, try collecting a
stack at Normal rate, without averaging.

You can test noise reduction as a function of dwell time and averaging
to see where the noise reduction levels off as a function of Kalman
repetition to get a sense of how much averaging is really necessary
for your system.

Apply a coverslip with immersion oil to a fluorescent plastic
reference slide and focus about 20 microns into the plastic using your
favorite oil lens, with a zoom of  4 to get a uniform intensity across
the field.
  Adjust laser and Gain to fill the histogram about 3/4 for a single
image using Normal scan speed and Direct mode. Use these settings for
collecting images at Slow Scan and Normal Scan using the Direct mode
and with a Kalman of 2 to 8 or so..
Move the slide to a new field for each capture.
Graph the mean and Std. dev for each resulting image. Then graph the
coefficients of variance (var=Std. dev/mean intensity) for each image.

Regards,
Glen