CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2013

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 09:16:36 +0200

Ali,

by definition, the nucleo*plasm* would be the solution surrounding but
excluding chromatin. Is that what you mean? if so, you would need to get
a dye in the nucleus that does not bind to DNA. I am not aware of any
specific stainable substances in that solution, but some people managed
to inject large molecules in the nucleus that are excluded from the
chromatin and thus 'stain' the surroundings. If memory serves me right
is was dextran. The mentioned NLS-FP seems to be another option.

If you have access to the equipment, you might also want to have a look
at 2-photon excitation spectra, sometimes they are surprisingly distinct
for dyes having overlapping 1-photon excitation.

Steffen

On 06.08.2013 17:37, Alison Dun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone can help me source a far red dye that stains the nucleoplasm (but not the nucleolus) of live cells. The main issue we are having is that when exciting mCherry in the same sample the emission excites the far red dye if its spectrum overlaps too much. So we need a far red dye with excitation ideally above 680 nm. Any other suggestions about how to overcome this problem would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Ali
>
> Dr. Alison Dun
> Technology and Facility Manager
> Edinburgh Super Resolution Imaging Consortium (ESRIC)
> Heriot-Watt University
> Edinburgh
> EH14 4AS
>
> Tel: +44 7977 518 581
>
> http://www.esric.org

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum für experimentelle Medizin (WBex)
Head of light microscopy

Mail room:
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 München

Building location: