CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
Larry Tague <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:43:03 -0500

> The traditional way that research is validated is by reproducibility
> rather than by combing through raw data.
Yes... and who is going to pay for all of this reproducibility
testing... not NIH who is only funding about 1 in 10 proposals at the
present time. I do not have the time or the money to reproduce
questionable data when trying to complete my own research.  I need to be
able to quickly make a determination relative to the "acceptable" nature
of published material.  I have discovered the hard way that peer review,
even though it is the best we have, is not always sufficient. After all,
how many peer reviewers take the time to look at the original data?
Customarily, all they see is the polished product to be published. With
the wonderful advantages of the digital age comes a mess of
disadvantages and pit-falls that will require new and innovative ways of
management and review.  There is a lot of innocent garbage being
published that is scary.  We had better be quick studies in this new
digital world, or otherwise our professions in science may quickly
develop credibility problems.

Larry

--
Larry Tague
Co-Investigator BBHSL*

*BBHSL "Building Bridges to Health Science Literacy" URL: http://bbhsl.mecca.org, a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA). Supported by the National Center of Research Resources (NCRR) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
**MECCA (Memphis Educational Computer Connectivity Alliance)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may contain protected health information, or other legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual responsible for delivering the email to the recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender, disregard the foregoing message, and delete the message. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. IMPORTANT NOTE: Confidential health   information is protected by state and federal law, including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and related regulations.