CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2005

From:
Holly Aaron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 10:03:28 -0700

Hi, Mike -

For an imaging core, I would highly recommend getting one of the fully
automated Ti:saph lasers, such as the Spectra-Physics MaiTai or the Coherent
Chameleon. These lasers are built to behave, require little or no
repositioning of the beam once it is aligned, and are nearly as easy to use
as the fibre-coupled visible Confocal lasers. The tuning ranges on these
one-box systems keep expanding, so there is almost no advantage now of going
with a 2-box system.

We have had a MaiTai and a Tsunami (2-box system) for 3 years now, so I have
a fair amount of experience with both of them. Feel free to give me a call
if you want to ask specific questions.

Also, regarding the Olympus, it is my understanding that it should work
fine, but I would check with Olympus on whether or not they can control the
IR laser (shutter, AOM, tuning) in their software.  Also make sure they
install appropriate dichroics for using the long wavelengths. You will most
likely want to have non-descanned detection, in which case, the filters are
usually easier to change around. Hopefully someone on the list who has the
Olympus Fluoview can offer advice.

Best,
 Holly
Holly L. Aaron