CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2014

Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2014 06:45:12 +0000

I guess the best way to test would be to use a single-labelled bead with the same fluorophore as the putative donor.  If FRET is occurring in the tetraspeck beads you'll see a reduction in donor lifetime.   If you don't have a FLIM system you can probably persuade someone else to run the test for you.  I don't know how these beads are made.  If they really are four distinct specks it seems unlikely that significant FRET would occur, buy of course the centroids won't align which could be a problem for your registration tests.  If that's not the case, and the beads are just coated with all 4 fluorophores then FRET is a distinct possibility.

                              Guy

Guy Cox, Honorary Associate Professor
School of Medical Sciences

Australian Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis,
Madsen, F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006