CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
Glen H MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 08:50:55 -0700

Dear Jerry,
This can of worms squiggles most strongly exactly do to the reactive nature of the perception of image
processing.  Photoshop is not the problem.  Not the solution, either.

Image processing should be approached as an act of translating the signal detected and produce by an
instrument that responds to intensities into a representation that can be recognized by the human
visual system designed to detect edges, changes and contrast.  Image process is all too often viewed as
random actions to address personal esthetics. The entire process of recording a microscopic image is a
series of translations, beginning with translating the sample into a diffraction pattern at the back of the
objective lens, then into electrons, into a series of digital values.  We spend huge amounts of money,
time and procedures to ensure that these translations are carried out with minimal losses at each stage
of the instrumentation.  Then most people screw it up at the very end by using arbitrary actions in
image processing software to make something look "good" (meeting pre-conceived notions).

Information losses and histogram changes occur at every stage, most affect gamma.  Even the choice of
excitation/emission parameters (filter, laser lines, etc) will skew the gamma.  As you point out, the
resulting image must be processed in some manner to both compensate for instrument effects as to
render it meaningful to our visual system.

Regards,
Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923
(206) 616-4156