CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2004

From:
Robert Atkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:06:01 -0000
Hi Carl,
Mark and Guy have already answered this and I'd agree with what they
say. Basically once the system is stabilised at a reasonable gain
setting the PMT will be linear to much less than 1 count of your 8 bit A
to D. Assuming the amplifiers are reasonable you should have no problem.
On the subject of variation between tubes, we have our PMT's specially
selected by the manufacturer for better matching.
One other factor that can cause problems is if the PMT has been exposed
to excessive light levels. This causes problems even if the tube is not
powered at the time. A PMT can take many hours to recover from even a
few seconds of exposure to room lighting.

Regards,
Robert.