CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2010

From:
"Ignatius, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:03:25 -0500

Prior to Dr. Hell's excellent 2007 paper cited below using laser light pulses in the ns range, Dr. Nishigaki et al, in 2006 used the LED approach successfully, though with more modest gains.  They custom built a pulsed diode with broader duty cycle (0.5 to 2ms) that reduced bleaching of organic dyes and associated cell toxicity.   Apparently driving diodes much faster than this raises heating concerns.

Or is this no longer true?

Stroboscopic illumination using light-emitting diodes reduces phototoxicity in fluorescence cell imaging.  Nishigaki T, Wood CD, Shiba K, Baba SA, Darszon A. Biotechniques. 2006 Aug;41(2):191-7.

Mike Ignatius
Molecular Probes, Life Technologies