CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2011

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 14:56:06 -0600

Heating is going to be highly sample dependent.  Thermal effects are by
absorption of the energy.  Since most tissues are transparent to NIR they
don't tend to absorb much so you need significant wattage delivered to
generate heating.  That said, depending on your tissue your mileage may
vary.  For instance a perfused sample in solution will probably handle more
heating than a fixed thin section on a slide.  Non-linear effects tend not
to care about wavelength if the pulses are short enough.  Basically the
transient energy becomes so high that you get ionizing effects which is how
you get photo-chemical effects.  I'm sure wiser minds can give a more
elegant description of this, but that's the gist of it.

Craig