CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2014

From:
"Knecht, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2014 00:26:44 +0000

On Sep 20, 2014, at 8:12 AM, James Pawley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Hi David,
>
> Could you tell us a little more? How thick is the "surface label" (molecular or a layer of plastic?)?
fluorescent protein bound to the surface of a latex bead so molecularly thin on the scale of an optical  microscope.
> Are we correct in assuming that the WF focus plane coincides with the centre of the bead?
yes
> What is the RI of the beads and the embedding medium?
live imaging of beads inside phagosomes inside cells with oil immersion and cells in media using a glass bottom dish
> Using NA 1.3-1.4 implies "all oil or glass to the focus plane". Anything else involves all sorts of refraction, reflection games near the bead surface.
related to this issue, it is not clear to me the extent to which latex beads are transparent and that would be one explanation if excitation or emission is restricted by the inability of light from the focal planes above the middle getting through the lower part of the bead to get back to the objective.