CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2010

From:
Kurt Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:20:47 -0800

  I have some experience with this widefield hyperspectral imaging
system, which is based on a tunable AOTF:
http://www.olinet.com/products.php?&_act=manageProduct&DO=viewProduct&intProdID=53&product=Hyper/Multispectral%20Imaging%20System

It works well - continuously tunable center wavelength, multiple
different widths for each passband, and very fast retuning from one
wavelength to the next, but the out of band rejection of ~1:10^3 is
non-ideal.  Of course, you also have to be willing to acquire your
spectral images sequentially rather than simultaneously.

There are also tunable liquid crystal filters, but they take longer (100
ms?) to change wavelengths.

For the application we're interested in, we've actually decided it's
easier just to use a filter wheel and acquire hyperspectral images by
using multiple bandpass filters.

Kurt