CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2005

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:05:52 +0100

Dear Guenter,

Not an experienced user of such filter wheels, but I know that the new Nikon
TE2000 inverted microscope comes optionally with motorized excitation and
emission filter wheels. Don't know about their performance (speed,
vibration) though.

The same goes for the Olympus IX81. According to the brochure the switching
time of the filter wheels is 600 ms. The Olympus Cell series come with a
much faster excitation filter wheel built into the illumination system. If I
remember correctly the 'Cell M' system comes with the 'MT10' illumination
source whose filter wheel switches in 80 ms. The 'Cell R' system comes with
the 'MT20' illumination source whose filter wheel switches in 50 ms. This
last system uses a separate Unix bord for accurately driving and
synchronizing the hardware components. Since the MT10 and MT20 are connected
to the scope by a fiber, there should be no vibration problems.

The filter wheels (and all other hardware) are controlled through the
respective manufacturer's software packages.

Best regards,

Kevin

Kevin Braeckmans, Ph.D.
Lab. General Biochemistry & Physical Pharmacy
Ghent University
Harelbekestraat 72
9000 Ghent
Belgium