CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
Bo ZHANG <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:16:44 +0200

> To answer Bo Zhang's question, the localisation error introduces a constant
> offset on the MSD (mean square displacement) measurement. For example, for a
> moving object one typically plots the MSD vs increasing time lag, which, for
> free diffusion, should give a straight line with intercept zero. If there is
> a limited localisation accuracy, the intercept will be a non-zero positive
> value. This is quite logical since the position error is independent of time
> lag and will introduce a constant offset for all points of the MSD vs time
> lag curve. There is also a more rigorous mathematical proof of this in
> literature, but I don't have the reference here with me at this moment.

Thanks Kevin! Do you have the exact intercept in mind ? I just wrote
out the squared displacement with measurement error vectors, and by
taking the expectation, and I got an intercept of  6 * sigma^2 in 3-D
situation, where sigma^2 is the variance of the measurement in each
axis. I hope this is the right number.

--
Bo ZHANG
Ph.D. Student