CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:05:22 +0200

It would be useful if you could specify which objects you are trying to
track (cells, molecules, ... ?) and what imaging method you are using
(diascopic illumination, fluorescence (confocal) microscopy).

Clicking on objects is about the worst you can do in terms of accuracy. And
even worse than that, it's not reproducible. Generally speaking, you should
segment your objects and define its position by some mathematical (i.e.
objective and reproducible) criterium, such as the centre of mass in case of
fluorescent objects.

The minimum displacement for a given time between positions is determined by
the localisation accuracy. Any displacement smaller than the minimum
accuracy is below the detection limit. You call it 'setting it to zero', but
it just means immobile within the measurement accuracy. You don't actually
have to make it zero, just be aware what is the lower detection limit.

Best regards,

Kevin