CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:45:41 +1100

Dear Nathalia,

I would guess that 95% of the time, z-drift is caused by temperature
instability in your room, incubator or both, rather than a mechanical
fault with your microscope. This has been discussed many times
previously on this list. You should search the archives for "z-drift" or
"Focus Drift". Objective lenses are made of brass which will expand and
contract with very slight changes of temperature. It is not a trivial
matter to control the temperature of the room and incubator accurately
enough to be able to perform time lapse microscopy. I have just spent
two weeks playing with the air-conditioning system and incubator to
achieve stability after the hospital switch from winter heating to
summer cooling.

To gain more understanding of your problem while you are waiting for a
service call I suggest you look at the tutorial I have placed online at:

www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/drift

If you follow this procedure you should be able to work out if the
movement of the lens is always in:
-A downward direction - Gravity causing drift may be the cause

-An upward direction - Your lens is still warming up to the incubator
temperature

- Oscillating up and down
	- temperature instability caused by heating or cooling
	system in the room.
	-Or a microscope incubator system with either an on/off
	controller (get a controller with "fuzzy logic" or "PID
control")
	-PID controller requires "Tuning" (read the manual).

Temperature control is not trivial, you need to invest quite a bit of
time to get it right.

Cheers

Stephen H. Cody
Microscopy Manager
Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital
Victoria,      3050
Australia
Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104
email: [log in to unmask]
www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal

Tip: Learn how to receive reminders about you microscope booking:
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal/Local/Booking_Hint.htm