CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
Mike Esterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:03:45 -0400

I have been watching this discussion with much interest.  The issue that
Bill Oliver is addressing about making "all" of the data available has an
additional pitfall.  I am retired from a major pharmaceutical company and
scientist in our drug discovery, toxicology and clinical research divisions
all publish.  No pharmaceutical company is going to allow public access to
research data for network security and legal reasons.  So while making the
all data and images from a published study available on a website might work
for a university it would not be feasible for industry like pharma.

I would suggest that all journals have guidelines about what which image
process operations are allowable and they must be reported - software used
and operations done as part of methods and materials, I would suggest
reporting acquisition parameters, if possible.  Then if a scientist is
discovered performing undocumented process there should be some penalty. If
a person does unethical manipulations often enough they will be found out.

My thoughts on the thread.

Mike Esterman
Imaging Consultant