CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2012

From:
Kirk Czymmek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:16:33 -0400

Dear Microscopy Colleagues,
Periodically, my microscopy center and others send out requests through the
listervers about usage and cost recovery and such for benchmarking to share
with administrators or just to get a sense of how we are doing.
It occurred to me that rather than just compiling a few anecdotal examples,
it might be helpful if a more formal survey and analysis was done and made
available through the web for as many microscopy facilities as possible. I
have put together a microscopy metrics survey with a 3rd party vendor who
will be kind enough to acquire, analyze and create a full report of the
compiled data.
 Questions like equipment type, cost recovery, institutional support
levels, sources of equipment funding and advanced techniques specific to
microscopy center are asked. I anticipate this process and the questions
will evolve in future surveys as we get feedback, but I am hoping if you
manage/direct a microscopy facility that you would take about 5-10 minutes
to complete the survey. Any financial numbers could be reasonable
estimations if you are willing to share. Of course and
suggestions/improvements are welcome and you can email me directly or do it
through the survey.
A full report will be available in a few months but feel free to ask sooner
if you need it.
If you are willing to participate please go to the following link and click
on the gray "Metrics on Microscopy Facilities" button on the right hand
side of the home-page: http://www.ideaelan.com/public/index.aspx
 Disclaimer. I have no personal financial interest in the vendor hosting
the survey but do use their software to manage my center.
Best Regards,
Kirk J. Czymmek, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences