CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2012

From:
Kirk Czymmek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 04:58:32 -0400

Hi Geroge and All,

Thanks, George. Yes I am aware of this survey and few others directed at
Core Facilities in general and certainly microscopy facilities were
included. In fact about 1/2 of the 36 included respondants ran EM
facilities. I recommend that others read this as well as there is much
useful information and a great resource. However, after attempting to use a
similar broad survey internally with 10 cores at my institution, I can only
get so far with this information for my own center and the others as well.
Our other cores, covering the gamut of technologies and services, have
greatly varying business models.  While the survey I requested my
colleagues participate in has some fundamental overlapping questions with
other surveys, it has many questions that are highly specific to microscopy
that are never included in a broader non-microscopy specific survey.
Further, some overlap was intended as this will allow us to compare how
microscopy facilities compare to cores in general. I am hoping we get over
100 respondents (more if possible) specific to microscopy. When I walk into
my administration with the results, I want to be able to parse out the
details specifically with cores more like mine. I think this distinction
matters when I want to show what percentage of cores have or plan to add
super-resolution microscopy to their centers, for example. I think a survey
like this should also be held periodically so we can watch the changes of
microscopy centers as they evolve with time and as I mentioned before I
would welcome feedback on improving the questions in future iterations.

George, you bring up a good point about the other survey and we will be
sure to include this citation and others related to microscopy facilities,
microscopy salaries with the report.

Best Regards, Kirk