CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2015

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:58:39 -0600

Hi Dale, the shorter the pulse you use, the less collateral damage there
will be. The shorter the pulse is in time, the broader its spectrum must
be. The broader its spectrum is, the harder it is to focus accurately due
to NIR chromatic aberration. The Coherent Vitara has adjustable bandwidth,
so you might be able to use that to play with the pulse parameters until
you get optimal ablation. I believe its center wavelength is fixed around
800nm approximately, but then you can alter the bandwidth around this
point. You would also need a pulse compression setup (Coherent of course
sells these too) to keep everything from getting excessively dispersed.
Another thing to consider is that high pulse energy can cause photochemical
damage, especially in the presence of oxygen, so this might be an issue for
you as well.

You are opening a can of worms with this one, but you could get some
interesting results!

Craig Brideau