CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1995

From:
Michael Cammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 09:11:20 -0400
We had the following problem with the high memory driver.  I should also
state that this was the version shipped with our 386 Northgate with 8MB RAM
back in 1991 and that we're using the SONY SMO-S501 disk drive.  I later
tried a high memory driver shipped with a colleague's newer 486 Gateway,
but this did not work either.
When collecting a Z-series or time series, the first images to be saved to
disk went to memory and were written to disk while the next image was
being scanned.  At first, we thought this was great because the system
zipped along.  But, for more than a few MBs of images, eventually, memory
filled up and the system hung.  Turning the high memory driver off solved
the problem.  We have not tried a newer version of the software.  -mc