CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 1997

From:
Goran Ocklind <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 08:30:56 +0100
Jody Myers wrote:

> Dear List Subscrbers,
> We were recently informed by a Zeiss rep that there may be problems with the
> larger glass coverslips.  We have been using Corning No. 1, 24x50mm
> coverslips but were told that they are too long!  Any comments, suggestions
> and clear explanations will be greatly appreciated.
> Sincerely,
> Jody Myers

Dear Jody,
Sounds maybe funny that a coverglass can be too long. However, a long
coverslip is more flexible than a short one and when you use immersion
the hydraulic forces tend to bend/move the glass vertically when you
focus or make a z-scan. The results might be movements in the specimen
and varying spherical aberration. This once happened to me - a monolayer
of epithelial cells looked at the scanning image like a surrealistic
forest. And yes I had sealed the edges with nailpollish.

Yours,

Göran Ocklind, Ph.D.
Uppsala Univ, Pharmacy /Div  Pharmaceutics
Box 580, 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
http://pharm.bmc.uu.se/~galenisk