CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 1997

Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:24:59 -0500
Hello Judy,

We got some Cytoseal from MP and were surprised to find it incompatible with
watery samples: you have to dehydrate and clear the sample beforehand.  No
good if you are looking at lipid stains.  It does make a fine DPX substitute
however, not least because it comes in a convenient twist top dispenser.

In looking for a good mounting medium, the first two considerations are is it
organic or water based? then does it set or stay fluid?  Of the setting type,
I prefer Permafluor (watery) and Fluomount (resin, dehydrate first).  Of the
non-setting, I make my own from the recipe in Brian Matsumoto's book.  It
contains n-propyl gallate in a buffered glycerol solution.  I have not
studied the relative benefits with different fluorophores, so this is
somewhat subjective.  Has anyone out there done such a study?

David Carter
oQQQQQ@

Meridian Instruments
2310 Science Parkway