CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1997

From:
Andy Hubbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 08:45:37 +0100
> Andy,
> Do I understand you correctly that the PC portion of your TCS-4D is running
> Win NT 4.0?  This makes sense to me, I guess if Win 95 works, why not NT
> (guess I hadn't thought of that)?  Did you do this yourself or did Leica
> help you?  Are you under service contract & does Leica have a problem with
> your upgrade?  More information would be great.
>
> You are welcome to correspond with me privately to keep the "chatter" down
> on the list (I'll forward your reply to the other interested Leica users at
> the UA).
>
> Doug

I'll post here as this thread seems to be quite alive ....
 I am running NT4 at the moment, having gone through 95, NT3.51 and
then to NT4, all with good success with scanware.  I forgot to say
that the initial OS upgrade (to NT3.51/95 dual boot) did require
Leica to supply a different version of scanware .... the 'NT
version', 5.1b if I'm not mistaken.  Understand that this is not 32
bit, probably the code was modified a tad to get it running on NT!
The software does hit the CPU hard, using well over 90% all the time,
so don't expect to do much else while running scanware!  But as the
main cruncher is the OS9 it's really not a problem...
 As I understand it the last PC/OS9 systems supplied in the UK did
come with NT3.5x on the PC, so clearly Leica supports this.
Admittedly I got the same response about running scanware under 95 as
you did, this was the same for NT4 as well ....." *cringe*, we've not
tried it, so can't say if it'll work!".
I am under service contract with Leica, although they have'nt as yet
seen the latest results of my tinkering!
To finish, it's been about a week since putting in a P166 processor
and new motherboard, and the system is at its best.  My main problem
used to be PC crashes due to the heat we get here, but the
motherboard solved this.  Like I said before, if you can afford it,
get the PC up to pentium speed with at least 32Mb of RAM (NT loves
RAM) and I think you will be pleased.

Regards

Andy

Andy Hubbard.
Confocal Microscopy Technician,
CMHT., Hodgkin Building, Leicester University.
Tel: 0116 2525625,  email: [log in to unmask]