CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2024

Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2024 18:53:37 -0400
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Julia -

Here's a method that may work for you. It is a well known botanical
method that I have used many times without any toxicity problems. It's
cheap and easy, and it seals well. It's autoclavable, and it keeps
forever un-refrigerated. I have some always on hand. The sealant is
called VaLaP and it's cheap and non-toxic. Get yourself some plain
Vaseline (unscented etc.) and some ordinary canning paraffin from the
supermarket, and some lanolin, which you can get in bulk from VWR or
Fisher where they list it as "Wool Fat". Mix them well 1:1:1 (equal
parts) at 60C. I have a little hotplate that I keep just for my VaLaP,
always ready. When you need it melt it at 60C and apply it with a Q-tip.
I dab it on the corners of the coverslip just to keep it in place, and
then paint around the edge to seal. It is very sticky so it seals well
and will stick to polycarbonate or glass, and yet it is not difficult to
handle once you have tried it a couple of times.

I have kept fern material alive for an extended period for a week or
more of continuous time-lapse. I autoclave in a little beaker. No
contamination or leakage. Obviously, you don't want to get in on the
objective, but If you get it on the lens it cleans off well with "Sparkle".

Try it. you may find it is just what you need.

Regards,

Phil Lintilhac