CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
emanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:09:10 0000
> In an aricle entitled: Cell cycle-dependent distribution of telemeres,
> centromeres, and chromosome-specific subsatelitte domains in the
> interphase nucleus of mouse lymphocytes (Exp.Cell Res. 205p142-151,1993)
> Claire Vourc'h, Domenica Taruscio, Ann Boyle and David Ward quoted a
> formule for the calculation of the distribution of two random signals in a
> sphere with diameter 1.
> I suppose the r2 etc. are exponents, but is there anybody here who can
> explain the basics of the formule or where we can find more about it.

Recently, I started a short study on the theory of nearest neighbours
(of differtent colours). Distances between nearest neighbours are
measured to test if a single population is distributed randomly (e.g.
trees in a forrest). I have found something in these books:

*Quantitative Stereology, Ervin E. Underwood, 1970, Addison Wesley
  Publishing Company.
*Stochastic Geometry and its applications, D. Stoyan, Kendall and Mecke,
  1987, John Wiley and Sons. (not a very clear story; distance
  measurement as a stochastic test).

Erik Manders
CRC Nuclear Structure and Function Group
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology
Oxford University
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3RE, UK
Tel: (+44/0) 1865 275529 (/275500)