CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2008

From:
Johan Henriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:07:53 +0100
David Kelly wrote:
> Hello Michael

this level of memory handling is not something you can hand to the OS.
32-bit applications are limited to 2GB on old mac and windows, 3GB on
linux. the rest can only be used by windows. in fact, the limit is not
4GB but much higher (extensions available on newer 32-bit CPUs)

the limitations are in the variables used internally and can only by
fixed by recompilation. that is, if the source code was well-written.
maybe time to consider alternatives?

/Johan

> As I understand it LAS leaves the memory handling to Windows so if you
> are using 64 bit then it should allow you to address more than the 4GB
> limit on 32 bit systems. I know Leica people watch this list so can
> any of them clear this up as its quite a hassle to get it working on
> 64 bit xp.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave
>
> Michael Weber wrote:
>> Hey Dave,
>>
>> interesting solution, thanks. But regarding the memory handling, the
>> LAS-AF program is still not able to handle more than 2 GB even on x64
>> XP since it remains a 32 bit program, or am I missing something?
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> David Kelly wrote:
>>> Hello Aryeh
>>>
>>> It is possible to run LAS on 64bit XP but its not easy. When
>>> installing you run the program from the link below. This spoofs LAS
>>> into thinking its running on a 32 bit system. The problem is that
>>> everytime you upgrade your confocal software you need to upgrade
>>> your workstation software and this spoofing doesn't always work. So
>>> if you have the time and the inclination you can do it but unless
>>> you are dealing with very big image stacks and need the extra memory
>>> I wouldn't bother
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=bd02c19c-1250-433c-8c1b-2619bd93b3a2&displaylang=en
>>>

>>> When this doesn't work there are other utilities that also spoof XP
>>> version numbers with varying degrees of success
>>>
>>> Hope this helps
>>>
>>> Dave

Johan Henriksson
MSc Engineering