CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:04:40 -0500

Hi John,

As mentioned by others, you would need to a second, synchronized
scanner to descan the transmission path.

Fortunately, the transmission path is a great place to put
non-descanned detectors for multiphoton microscopy. The "NDD-T"
detectors can be for the laser wavelength (good idea to attenuate the
signal when using a 3.3 W average power Ti:Sapphire laser line!),
second harmonic generation, and/or fluorescence. Steve Vogel (NIH)
put his TCSPC FLIM fluorescence detectors after a dual dry/oil high
NA condenser for his Zeiss LSM510 multiphoton microscope. Steve said
it was much easier to add the detectors to his system that way. With
respect to SHG, Watt Webb's group has published comparisons of epi-
vs transmission-SHG.

With respect to transmission microscopy in general, what appears
opaque to the eye may be almost transparent in the near infrared. For
example, an ~6 mm thick mouse brain transmits enough light at >700 nm
to see red polymer filled blood vessels using a standard
tungsten-halogen lamp and good digital CCD camera. Same specimen is
completely opaque in the visible or with white light source and no
wavelength selection. This was exploited years ago by Dodt and
Zieglgansberger in near infrared video enhanced differential
interference contrast optical sectioning microscopy of brain slices.
The principle is easily demonstrated with a red (but not green) laser
pointer and finger.

At 10:03 AM 11/6/2007, you wrote:
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>Hello folks,
>
>Here is one of those seemingly straightforward to answer questions
>that has me really stumped.  You should hear all of the BS around
>here when I bring this up with the other confocal 'experts'.  Why
>isn't there a pinhole in the transmission-image forming pathway?  A
>confocal transmission image would be nice but I always tell people
>it's not possible.  Is it not possible or just not done?
>
>Thanks for your help.  John.
>--
>*********************************
>C. John Runions, Ph.D.
>School of Life Sciences
>Oxford Brookes University
>Oxford, UK
>OX3 0BP
>
>email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
>phone: +44 (0) 1865 483 964
>web:
><http://www.brookes.ac.uk/lifesci/runions/HTMLpages/index.html%21>http://www.brookes.ac.uk/lifesci/runions/HTMLpages/index.html!
>

>New - Oxford Brookes Master's in
><http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying/courses/postgraduate/2007/bmt>Bioimaging
>with Molecular Technology

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
305-243-8436 office
http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/