CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2005

From:
Julio Vazquez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:07:10 -0700

Melissa,

We have a 120W EXFO on our Zeiss Axiovert 200. The illumination is
quite strong. With a 10x/0.3 objective, we get 45 mW of power with
FITC cube and 75 mW with TRITC cube. This compares to 15 mW and 60 mW
respectively on our (rather bright) Nikon with conventional 100 W Hg
bulb and a 10x/0.45 objective. (In both cases, bulbs were around the
middle of their rated lifetime). The Exfo has an aperture to regulate
illumination intensity, we typically use it in the lower settings. I
am not sure how power declines with time, but I think it is OK up to
the rated 1500 hours. We replaced our first lamp after about 1 year/
1800 hours.

Because of the fiber optic, illumination is very even (no adjustments
required). We also appreciate the built-in safety (lamp does not turn
ON when hot), and the fact that there is no hot lamp housing near the
scope. Some of the vendors now have the proper parts to mount the
fiber on the illumination port.

We have no experience with the Sutter Lambda, but I would probably
prefer any of these two over the conventional type.

Julio.

--
Julio Vazquez, PhD
Scientific Imaging

Tel: Office: 206-667-1215/ Lab: 206-667-4205
FAX: 206-667-4029

DISCLAIMER:

This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient
(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended
recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution
or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you
received this message in error, please notify the sender then delete
this message.