CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2007

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:24:34 -0800

Dear  Shalin,
I second recommendations from Stephan and Christophe.  Maybe you are
limited to laser laser lines (assume this is a confocal application),
but you should try for fluorophores as widely separable as possible
to maximize signal with minimal bleedthrough.  Avoid Alexa 594, it
will co-excite with the 633 and show up in the far red channel.  We
use AF 488, 568 and 647 or 660 routinely.  consider spinning the
secondaries for 10 min. at 10,000 rpm in a refrigerated centrifuge
then labeling with the supernate to avoid punctate sparklies over you
tissue.  The Image-iT fx  from Molecular Probes greatly reduces AF
non-specific tissue binding - this may be particularly important with
thicker samples.  And, always use negative controls for each of the
labels to assess background, autofluorescence and bleedthrough.

Regards,
Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156

******
The box said "Requires WindowsXP or better", so I bought a Macintosh.
******