CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
Paul Rigby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:44:55 +0900

Dear Peng (and George),
We currently run an Enterprise II that produces 60mW of 351/364nm UV on
an old Biorad MRC1024 UV system. When imaging probes like Hoechst or
DAPI, we routinely use 10mW 351nm output on the laser with a 10%
transmission ND filter in the excitation path. This should lead to
approx 1mW minus any losses in the optics of the scanhead and
microscope. While I haven't measured the power directly, I suspect we
are only getting, at most, 100 - 200uW at the sample.

Given that our second Enterprise laser is almost at the end of its life
(currently over 5000 hours), I was also thinking of purchasing a 20mW
375nm laser for imaging our probes. I would have thought that 20mW would
be sufficient power to image your autofluorescence, provided there are
not significant losses in the optical path. I would be very interested
to hear of your experience with this laser should you decide to purchase
it. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Regards
Paul

Dr Paul Rigby
Senior Lecturer
Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (M510)
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley  WA  6009
Ph (61-8) 9346 2819