CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2015

From:
Andrew York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2015 13:14:30 -0500

Good point about two-photon, the confinement of bleaching and reduced
crosstalk is quite nice. Devils advocate arguments against going fast with
2p, compared to 1p spinning disk:

1. 2p cross sections are very very low compared to 1p; it takes a lot of
power to saturate each 2p spot (~mWs each), which can add up to impractical
levels pretty fast (>1 W average power). Even though IR light is absorbed
less than visible, low cross section combined with high parallelization can
mean non-negligible heating. Getting the same degree of parallelization as
a spinning disk isn't likely, so your instantaneously glowing volume will
be a lot smaller and ultimate speed limit will be a lot slower.

2. Typical pulse rates for 2p (>10 ns) are long compared to fluorescent
lifetimes (~1 ns?), so your molecules spend a lot of time not glowing, and
the speed-limiting signal per second takes another 5-10x hit compared to CW
visible excitation.

3. I'm pretty sure you get fewer signal photons per bleaching event with 2p
compared to 1p, when imaging a single plane. Can anyone confirm/deny? I
know bleaching rates blow up past a certain 2p intensity, but I'm not sure
they ever get as low as with 1p, for the same amount of signal produced.
(of course, this is offset by the absence of out-of-plane bleaching Guy
mentioned, so for a thick enough sample where you're imaging the entire
volume, you're clearly better off with 2p)

4. I'm not even sure you can saturate excitation with 2p, compared to 1p.
Has anyone studied this? Which comes first, saturation of excitation, or 2p
photobleaching rates greatly exceeding 1p rates?