CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1997

From:
"Rick A. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:23:00 -0800
Richard,

I think you should look at the Kodak DS 8650 PS.  The Codonics is actually
a Kodak 8650 with some changes.  PCMAG compared high end printers in the
Oct 21, 1997 issue and gave their editors choice to the Kodak 8650 over the
Tektronix 450.  They also gave an editor's choice to the Tektronix 480 but
it costs $13,800.  Our 8650 is networked.  It can print in raster or PS but
the raster is much better.  The Kodak has the fastest print time of any of
the printers in the PCMAG evaluation.  I have seen one letter here slamming
Kodak tech support but tech support was very good to me and I deal with a
lot of tech support personnel on the Net Admin side of my position.  Have a
quick look at this site.

http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/webCatalog.pl?section=&cc=US&lc=en&product=KODA
K+DIGITAL+SCIENCE+8650+Color+Printer

There is a Tektronix in the building and I don't believe it compares well
with the Kodak.  Kodak is also the choice of Gatan, Inc., makers of the CCD
camera for our TEM and it is the favorite of Ted Pella, Inc., a very well
known EM supplier.  We have two confocals in-house and one TEM.  Everyone
is very impressed with the Kodak.

Rick A. Harris
Director, Microscopy and Imaging Facility
Section of Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of California, Davis, CA