CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
ian gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:07:11 +0930

Hello Irina

We also have an SP5 and have been through this issue. In the end we
decided not to attach to the network. The big problem we have is that
our network environment is highly managed by out IT folk who are always
doing upgrades, virus checks and who knows what else. As a consequence,
individual PCs can suddenly slow to a crawl without any warning. This
is real problem if you are doing some critical acquisition protocol. We
also have limited admin rights when we are on the network (reasonably
so!) that makes it a real pain to do software upgrades or hardware
modifications etc. So our confocal PCs are not networked... Neither are
any of other our image acquisition or processing PCs.

Our users have no problems at all in taking their data off the PC with
USB memory stick, CDs, or DVDs. This has the added advantage of
ensuring that users are responsible for their own backups and data
security...

If we need to download something from a website for the confocal PC, we
simply do it on another PC.

I know not all networks are set up like ours, but if yours is, then our
experience is that it's really not worth the fuss.

hope that helps

IAN