CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1999

From:
Guy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:00:41 -0000
I agree with Rob, for monolayer or very thin films, reflected light DIC
works very well.  It also helps to have a highly reflective, or well
polished substratum.  For thicker biofilms, I have not been able to
distinguish individual cells within a biofilm colony, and resort to fluor
labeling for the best images.

Ace Baty at the Center for Biofilm Engineering (CBE) has published a few
papers using the reflected light DIC technique.  Also, Andy Rice, also of
the CBE, has just finished his thesis tracking a mixed population of
GFP-plasmid labeled Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 and unlabeled Pseudomonas
aeruginosa PAO1.  He switched between fluor excitation and reflected light
DIC to track motility of the labeled cells inside of a biofilm colony, but
it was always a very thin biofilm.

-Guy Cook
Bacterin

----------
> [...]
labelling
> >>incorrectly, or is it the P ging, or maybe both?  Also, as half the kit
is
> >>based on a "live cell" stain, it is possible that if your bugs are not
> >>labelling well because they are not happy.  Remember that MP designed
these
> >>stains for application to growing planktonic cultures, not for use in
> >>biofilms.  Does the stain work for pure culture planktonic cells?  If
not
> >>you are, ahem, screwed.  You must also remember that MP tested the
stain on
> >>only a small number of pure cultures.  When last I checked, the total
> >>number was ten with "no plans to test further - this is an investigator
> >>issue."  Yeah, right.......  We have used it on biofilms that grow up
from
> >>whole salivary inocula and see initially a vast majority of G+ that
lessens
> >>with time - but given the complexity of the inoculum, we cannot say
> >>anything about how accurate that picture is other that the community
> >>evolution seems to resemble what goes on in the mouth.  We have
generally
> >>seen nice results with Live/Dead (only green or red cells), but you can
get
> >>indeterminate staining (yellow cells).  The L/D kit is much more
> >>straightforward in principle than is the pos/neg kit, however.
> >>Another factor to consider is that one component of the kit is a
> >>"viability" stain.  If you are working in an aerobic system, then the P
> >>ging are certainly not as happy as they could be, and even the
facultative
> >>streps could be better off.  Along these lines, MP sells yet another,
even
> >>more complicated kit that not only tells you which cells are G+ and
which
> >>are G-, but also which ones are "viable" to boot!  The interesting
point
> >>for you is that the Gram sign principle is completely different (and is
> >>easier to understand and therefore more accepted by the scientific
public)
> >>than the kit you are currently using.  We have this kit but have not
used
> >>it much because the only times we've really been interested in Gram
sign,
> >>our inoculum has been so complex as to make the staining "difficult" to
> >>interpret (see above).

> >Prof. James B. Pawley,                                       Phone:
> >604-822-6996
> >3D Microscopy of Living Cells: Summer Course   FAX:   604-822-6089
> >                                           Cabin 604-883-2095
> >c/o Dr. Elaine Humphrey
> >Biosciences Electron Microscopy Facility
> >University of British Columbia, 6270 University Blvd. Vancouver, BC,
V6T-1Z4